Iona fire service dates from 1956 when the then Western Fire Area Joint Committee established a unit of 7 volunteer firemen on the island and provided a two man manual pump which was stored in a small shed at the village hall. After a spell of time being housed in the old Cal-Mac store in the village the unit moved to a new purpose built community fire station at Martyrs bay in December 2006.
The unit now consists of up to 10 volunteer firefighters who all carry pagers and are on call 365 days a year. The station houses a purpose built 4x4 fire engine which carries its own water and is fitted out with an integral pump supplying high pressure hose reels along with standard hose. The appliance also carries a large amount of up to date equipment including ladders, portable pumps, breathing apparatus, rescue and trauma equipment, including a defibrillator. Mapping, communication, turnout instructions, and technical information support is provided by the on board computer system.
The fire service also provides Home Fire Safety Visits to residential homes on the island. These visits provide advice on fire safety, and smoke alarms can be fitted where required. The visits and smoke alarms are completely free. If you want more information or want to book a Home Fire Safety Visit call David on 01681 700730.