Last Updated: 19th January 2021
If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 you should arrange to be tested as soon as possible. You and members of your household should also self-isolate; further guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection can be found here.
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are:
- new continuous cough
- fever/high temperature
- loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste
More information about symptoms and how to care for someone who is unwell is available on the NHS Inform website.
If someone requires medical attention you can call Bunessan Surgery on 01681 700261 during their working hours and out of hours call 111.
If there is a medical emergency at any time of day or night call 999.
Please note that the national system for accessing a test does not work here on Iona. If you need a test please do not follow testing links on NHS Inform or call national assistance numbers.
Full details on the process for accessing a test on Iona are available here, but the key points to remember are:
- If you have symptoms call Bunessan Surgery (01681 700261)
- A test will be left for you in a box in the bunker by the public toilets. This may take around an hour. (N.B. Ideally someone should arrange to collect the kit for the symptomatic person and return it to your home where you can self swab, to prevent a symptomatic person attending the collection box.)
- Once the test has been used it should be placed in the second box in the bunker. You should then contact Bunessan Surgery again so they can arrange for it to be collected.
- The test must be registered online to ensure you get the results.
- Over the weekend a test will be left in the box and anyone using it should call Bunessan Surgery first thing on Monday.
- Sanitiser is available at the toilets and also in the bunker.
If you need to administer a test you can find more information about swabbing technique here.
If you are a visitor to Iona please inform your accommodation provider as soon as you develop symptoms. You should request a test using the process above and you and your household should self-isolate. Please do not consider leaving the island by CalMac ferry. This would risk spreading the virus to other travellers and crew and is against CalMac conditions of carriage.
If you are unable to contact your accommodation provider and require assistance you can call Argyll & Bute Council Coronavirus Helpline on 01546 605524 (available between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday) or email Iona Community Council: email@example.com.